News

The Sudanese army and Sudan’s paramilitary rapid support forces agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire, the US said on Monday.

US secretary of state Anthony Blinken said the temporary pause followed “intense negotiations” over the past 48 hours and he said the US would press efforts to implement a permanent halt to the fighting.

The Sudanese army on Friday previously announced a ceasefire to coincide with Eid al-Fitr, the holiday marking the end of Ramadan, but heavy fighting continued around the capital.

More than 400 people have died, mostly in the capital Khartoum, after fighting erupted 10 days ago between the Sudanese armed forces led by de facto president Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his opponent Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

Articles You May Like

Digital paralysis shows the dangers of e-globalisation
Kamala Harris promises a ‘better future’ in first campaign speech since Biden steps aside
UK ministers point to tough autumn Budget and possible tax rises
Treasuries gain as markets unwind some ‘Trump trades’ after Biden withdraws from race
Pennsylvania’s budget grants governor’s economic development wishlist